Here are the winners of the first edition of the Rotterdam International Duet Choreography Competition (RIDCC).
The finals were held in Rotterdam and the main award goes to choreographers Danae Dimitriadi & Dionysios Alamanos. This prestigious choreography award comes with a production budget of €100,000 making it the world’s largest dance award of its kind.
Winners of the RIDCC
Danae Dimitriadi & Dionysios Alamanos have just won the main RIDCC award and will be given the opportunity to create a new dance production at Theater Rotterdam in cooperation with Scapino Ballet Rotterdam for a production budget of € 100,000.
This is what the jury said about the award-winning choreography:
“The jury was impressed and touched deeply by this piece. The intense, symbiotic quality was mesmerizing and illusional. The jury was fascinated by the original and brave choice to stick to a very simple starting point, and work that out until it becomes an overwhelming experience to watch.”
A boost for new dance choreographies
The eight dance companies that are partners of RIDCC will give the following choreographers the opportunity to create their own production during the 2018-2019 theater season:
- Mario Bermudez Gil was selected by Scapino Ballet Rotterdam for his piece Alanda.
- Danae Dimitriadi & Dionysios Alamanos were selected by Conny Janssen Danst and Club Guy&Roni for their piece Uncia.
- Hanna van der Meer & Anna Jacobs were selected by Club Guy en Roni for their piece I am a poem, there is no way out.
- Youri Peters & Marie Khatib-Shahidi were selected by Maas Theater & Dans and Codarts for the piece Mourning, Morning.
- Robin Lamothe was selected by Dansateliers for his piece Mémoire d’un Oubli – Duo.
- Louis Thuriot & Borna Babić were selected by Kunsthumanoria (BE) for their piece Peeping eye.
- Fabio Liberti was selected by Norrdans (SE) for his piece Don’t, kiss.
Awards to support entrepreneurship
The following choreographers received a financial contribution to support their careers. They can spend the award on travel costs, on further education and training or on their own dance company: Fabio Liberti received €3,500, Courtney Mazeika & Marlie Couto received €2,500, and Jinhwan Seok received €1,500.
The RIDCC Jury
The jury of the first edition of RIDCC consisted of Samuel Wuersten (Holland Dance Festival), Roni Haver (Club Guy and Roni), Ed Wubbe (Scapino Ballet Rotterdam), Mira Helenius Martinsson (Norrdans), Dave Schwab (Theater Rotterdam), Peggy Olislaeger (Rambert) and the chairman of the jury was Jan Zoet (Director of Academie voor Theater en Dans, AHK).
Founded by Maya Roest and Mischa van Leeuwen, experienced dancers at Scapino Ballet Rotterdam, the Rotterdam International Duet Choreography Competition (RIDCC) is a choreography competition for dance duets of various dancing styles.